Saturday 22 March 2008

Encountering God in Work

Last week, Charlie talked about the various amounts of time that he’d calculated he would be spending in various activities in his life. Now, I reckon that I’m going to spend about 83,200 hours of my life working, about 20% of my waking hours. That’s quite a big chunk and if I’m not Encountering God in my work that’s quite a big chunk of life God will be missing from.

And I don’t believe that God wants to be missing from 20% of our lives, I believe that God loves us and is interested and involved in everything we do, including our work and therefore we can Encounter God in our work.

For some of us that is a new idea
For some of us it is an idea we have heard before but we’ve forgotten it
For others it will be something we do experience but hunger to experience even more

As I speak I am aware that I don’t put all this into practice and that I fall well short of the vision that I hope to communicate, of how it could be. I’m also aware that my experience of work is limited, both in time and variety. So the challenge to me and to us all, is to take the principles from this sermon and ask God if and how they could be applied to our working lives.

Continued here...

No comments: